[Sigia-l] RE: Printer-friendly button

manuel razzari funkascript at ultimorender.com.ar
Fri Oct 17 15:31:51 EDT 2003

Hello Jason.

I think it's actually the opposite.

You can, of course, design your website so it prints somewhat nicely.

But, in doing this, you are limiting your screen design, your power to
communicate or express, to what paper can do. I doubt constraining web design
to this is in any way useful.

Besides, there are very nice things you can do for the print version of a web
page.

- Like hiding navigation (if irrelevant).
- Or writing the URL of a link after the link text (as the paper user can't
click on the link!).
- Or placing a media-dependant copyright notice.
- Or using sans-serif for screen and serif for print.

Back on how to make it more intuitable or expectable, Brian Ghidinelli's
sugestion of a once-only alert is interesting.
Perhaps better would be a broser-integrated thumbnail preview on the print
dialog itself, as many users don't even know there's print preview... but this
is too far away ;)

best,
- Manuel Razzari
ps. Web apps are a rather different issue, I think.