[Sigia-l] FW: GUI Object Asset Management

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Oct 17 13:50:22 EDT 2003

"David Heller" wrote:

> Here's what I want.
> I want to create a navigatable, searchable and document referenceable
> library of widgets, their variations and the graphical components that make
> them up. I have tried to sorta build a prototype in dreamweaver, but it gets
> a little hectic to do just architecturally let alone the actual work to
> build the pieces.

Not sure what you really want. Do you want an already-built compendium of UI
widgets of, I assume, major OSes/web/apps? Or are you going to collect them
yourself but don't know how to build the database/app that will allow you
store/display them?

If the former, it's a pretty Herculean job, as the widget set changes all
the time, and some in subtle ways that a casual observer would be hard put
to detect. But there are HIGs for each OS and you can go from there.

If the latter, it's a most trivial job. Any relational DB should allow you
to create what's essentially a "parts catalog."

So you need to provide more info or perhaps an example.

----
Ziya

Only the mediocre are always at their best.