[Sigia-l] History of "Information Architecture"

David Heller dh at htmhell.com
Wed Oct 15 11:30:34 EDT 2003

Also, lets not confuse the bigIA from the littleIA.

BigIA gain huge momentum in the 90's due to the web's climb to stardom. West
and East coasters alike (none polar bears) started using IA to mean UX and
thus took the job to mean both disciplines in most cases.

Now that due to the great work of AIfIA there is a slow and steady narrowing
of the meaning of IA back to its little form (my personal hope and
interpretation) I think we will start to see how the original titles of
Product Designer, UI Designer, Interaction Designer, etc are going to start
to come to the fore again as is appropriate for their specific roles and
expertise.

-- dave