[Sigia-l] Displaying tablular data on websites

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Oct 10 18:22:44 EDT 2003

"BINHACK_ANNE at bentley.edu" wrote:

> I'm looking for some ideas about how to display tabular data when there is
> limited horizontal screen space on a web application. I have run across
> this problem on a few projects, but have not seen a solution that satisfies
> me.

Solution #1:  Use Flash or DHTML and pan the table area with something like
two right/left directional arrows, no need for a horizontal scrollbar.
Example, iTunes Music Store album highlights.

Solution #2: Use an iconic button to spawn a new page to display the table,
thereby giving the user all the flexibility needed. JavaScript coordinates
the data/variable exchange between the two pages, in needed.

Solution #3: Limit the number of columns that the user can display at one
time via checkboxes.

Solution #4: Ask yourself if you really need so many columns and/or if some
of them can be consolidated, charted, summarized, etc.

Anecdote: I once threatened to fire a client because a few accountant-types
insisted that a table with up to 100+ rows and 23 columns be displayed in an
HTML page. They wouldn't listen to rational arguments about peoples' ability
to view/absorb such amount of data. After I made them sit down and actually
show me why they think they need it, I realize that they really wanted to
copy all that data into Excel and manipulate it there in various ways. I
skipped the display stage altogether and a "Download .xls file" button took
care of the problem.

> However, this seems to me an inelegant solution, both developmentally, and
> design-wise.

Hey, if it's "not for public consumption" who needs elegance! :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba