[Sigia-l] Forcing practice

Todd R.Warfel lists at mk27.com
Tue Oct 7 16:20:37 EDT 2003

Just because it's their business model doesn't mean it's sustainable -
at least not long term.

The fact is customers are getting smarter and demanding better
products. This kind of stuff might fly for now, but especially after
the dot.com bubble burst, customers are becoming more savvy. Even large
corporations are tightening their budgets and looking at the soft costs
of professional services, support, continued training. I've worked with
several large institutions (financial, educational, medical,
commercial) who are moving away from products that have the business
model of "cheap now, but we'll rake you over the coals for support,
training, and professional services."

Are there companies out there who still practice this type of model -
of course.

Is this model sustainable long-term - in most markets, absolutely not.
Most of these companies are going to have to change their model, or
they simply won't be around.

On Oct 7, 2003, at 4:05 PM, Listera wrote:

> For those who build their business
> model on submitting low estimates up front and piling on later via
> maintenance, training, revisions, etc., it may well be.

Cheers!

Todd R. Warfel
User Experience Architect
MessageFirst | making products easier to use
Contact Info
voice: 	(607) 339-9640
email: 	twarfel at messagefirst.com
web: 	www.messagefirst.com