[Sigia-l] 508 Compliance - Alt Tags for Button Images

P.J. Gardner pjgardner at gidi.biz
Thu Oct 2 20:08:43 EDT 2003

Tanya,

Whitney is a better source for answers about research than I am.  I learned
some interesting information about problems with mispronunciation of words
and acronyms in the article she mentions.  That is a definite problem for
JAWS users.  You can teach a screen reader to change the pronunciation of
specific words, but that creates other problems if there is more than one
pronunciation for the same word.

My experience with computer impairments is more direct.  What I have done
is: 1) Download an evaluation version of JAWS to my own computer (it is good
forever, but you have to reboot after every 40 minutes of use), 2) Make
connections with a local organization of blind and low vision computer users
and start attending meetings, 3) Make connections with people who support
blind users and others in learning and using assistive technologies to
access the computer, and 4) Participate in the uvip-web-test at yahoogroups.com
user group, which is designed to create a dialog between web designers, and
blind and low vision users who are willing to evaluate web sites for
accessibility.

Through the uvip-web-test list (which you can join by sending a blank e-mail
to uvip-web-test-subscribe at yahoogroups.com), I made connections with one of
the people who works for Freedom Scientific, the company that makes JAWS--
which has been extremely valuable to me.

Of course, I am working on a graduate certificate in Accessible Web Design
at Northeastern University and I founded Boston-IA (www-Boston-IA.org), an
organization bringing Information Architecture together with Internet
Accessibility, so this is my area of specialty.  What I have spelled out in
this discussion is what I have learned through personal experience, not
research.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

P.J. Gardner