[Sigia-l] Re: Sigia-l digest, Vol 1 #690 - 14 msgs

John Malhinha joaom00 at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 12:16:01 EDT 2003

listera at rcn.com wrote:

  > "Anne Miller" wrote:
  >
  > > This is not an application for public consumption, the Orgs public is
  > > not affected by it. Who cares about aesthetics?
  >
  > I don't know. I wasn't the one talking about it.
  >
  > But the notion that because an app isn't for 'public consumption,
  > therefore
  > who cares what it looks like' is precisely the wrongheaded approach
  > that has
  > produced the untold numbers of obscenely unusable (and yucky looking,
  > to use
  > a technical term) intranet apps that millions are toiling with today.
  > With
  > that level of cynicism and apathy, no wonder the IT department has no
  > incentive to do better.

I second that. Accepting the notion that something internal does not
require the full design process sets a dangerous precedent. How much
longer will we be hearing "well, this is only going out a real small
subset of our users, so let's not worry about it too much"?

//jm

J O H N  M A L H I N H A
UI Designer
AOL Studio - Broadband