[Sigia-l] locations of synonym terms in hierarchical taxonomies?

Holly Hanna holly at indeterminate.net
Mon Nov 17 15:48:58 EST 2003

One instance where you might want to have a single synonym pointing at
multiple authority terms is in the case of abbreviations or acronyms.  It
depends on the depth and extent of your taxonomy, obviously, but if you've
got content that addresses both automatic teller machines (ATM) and
Asynchronous Transfer Mode (also ATM), it could make sense to make the
acronym a synonym to both authority terms, since you couldn't be certain
which concept the searcher was seeking when they typed in ATM.

Holly