[Sigia-l] Faceted approach applied to content

Donna M. Fritzsche donnamarie at amichi.info
Fri Nov 14 13:54:23 EST 2003

Hi Kathleen,
In essence, you are saying, for each piece of content that you tag,
for a given facet, can there be multiple correct values.  My opinion,
is yes this is fine.  In fact, it is a strength that will help you in
creating contextual links based on metadata values and during user
searches.  For instance, if you are creating a site that sells plant
seeding - a given plant my be able to grow well in 3 different zones.
For your zone facet, there would be three relevant zone values. Each
one would be equally correct.

The one situation that you might need to watch for is if you need
each piece of content to exist in one section of your site (to "live"
there)  and you are depending on your metadata to put it there.  The
facets that are responsible for creating this mapping must be
delineated as facets that can only have one correct value.  One way
around this would be to create two facets.  For instance, primary
zone and secondary zones.  The facet labeled primary zone can have
only one value, while the facet labeled secondary zones can have
multiple values.

One final note,  I personally find the term facet to be confusing.  I
prefer the terms attributes and attribute values.  These terms are
used in both the database world and the artificial intelligence
world, to describe a very similar functionality, sometimes the exact
same functionality.

Good Luck!
Donna Fritzsche
Strategic Knowledge Architecture and Information Design
http://www.amichi.info/