[Sigia-l] Information Visualization

Johndan Johnson-Eilola johndan at slic.com
Tue Nov 11 17:48:12 EST 2003

Right. We need to be careful, though, not to fall into a "tool" trap:
visualizations aren't simply a means to an end, they are also, in some
cases, the end itself. While certainly we can often abstract "meaning"
from "visualization", in some cases that abstraction changes meaning
(maybe it always changes meaning).

So while we need to get beyond info retrieval, I'm interested in what
things will look like/work like when we get to apps that support
information work much more generally (with retrieval, visualization,
and architecture available in fluid ways) and in a broad range of
end-user apps.

- Johndan