[Sigia-l] Information Visualization

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Nov 11 13:56:12 EST 2003

"Karl Fast" wrote:

> the database has 1.26 million citation records...

You gotta be kiddin'. This wouldn't even register on my 'large-scale' radar
screen. These are the puny DBs that one uses FileMaker or Access to handle.
I was referring to datasets with BILLIONS of records, in the multiple
terabyte range.

The world's largest DB is the BaBar experiment at Stanford Linear
Accelerator Center at over 500 terabytes.

For a comparison, here's a list of some of the largest commercial datasets:

Transaction Processing

     1.      Land Registry, 18.3 terabytes
     2.      BT plc, 11.7 terabytes
     3.      United Parcel Service, 9.0 terabytes
     4.      Caica Econômica Federal, 6.9 terabytes
     5.      United States Patent and Trademark Office, 5.4 terabytes
     6.      Verizon Communications, 5.3 terabytes
     7.      Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, 4.1 terabytes
     8.      Hewlett Packard Company, 3.2 terabytes
     9.      Boeing Company, 3.1 terabytes
    10.     CheckFree Corp, 2.9 terabytes

Decision Support

     1.      France Telecom, 29.2 terabytes
     2.      AT&T, 26.3 terabytes
     3.      SBC, 24.8 terabytes
     4.      Anonymous, 16.2 terabytes
     5.      Amazon.com, 13.0 terabytes
     6.      Kmart, 12.6 terabytes
     7.      Claria Corp., 12.1 terabytes
     8.      HIRA, 11.9 terabytes
     9.      FedEx Services, 10.0 terabytes
    10.     Vodafone, 9.1 terabytes

Try the notion of infoviz scaling with one of these babies, then we'll see.
:-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba