[Sigia-l] Information Visualization

James Spahr james at spahr.org
Mon Nov 10 01:18:15 EST 2003

On Nov 10, 2003, at 12:51 AM, Listera wrote:

> So do you see any clear path to information visualization success?
> Stuff
> that need to worked out? Or are you simply holding on to an irrational
> hope
> that it will/should succeed, because it would be neat if it did?
> (Again,
> nothing wrong with that, as many breakthroughs come via irrational
> fixations.)

I agree with Karl.

Once you start trying to visualize realtime data you (I?) realize the
benefits of taking masses of data and making a visual representation of
it -- this is moments before you realize the mountain you need to climb
(several times) before the visualization is done (and can change as
your data changes).

It's easier to make associations. It's easier to see trends and
differences between data sets. And (in my opinion) it promotes
exploration, which builds a greater understanding of the data (and it's
implications) for the user.

The stuff that needs to be worked out? Tools, research, and time to
make the mountain that needs constant climbing into a molehill.

James.