[Sigia-l] Web publishing tools: Contribute2

Whitney Quesenbery wq2 at sufficiently.com
Thu Nov 6 20:14:28 EST 2003

It's actually very easy to add images or any other file - you can browse to
an image on the site or on your hard drive. If you choose a file on your
hard drive, it automatically uploads it when the page is published.

New pages can be added in two ways:

1. You can open an existing page, edit it and do a "publish as new"
2. You can create a new page, which will be based on one of the templates
(regular DWTs) available for the site.

You can also create a page on the fly by creating a link and doing a "link
to new page."

If you are used to seeing source code, doing anything really complicated,
or working with media, Contribute is the wrong thing. But for simple
"update this page" - it's great. It was clearly designed to be unintimidating.

We have some people working on sections of the site with DW, while others
are managing their sections with C2 - the mix is pretty seamless EXCEPT for
the fact that the locking systems are different. We just make sure that
most people working in C2 only have permissions for their own areas plus
the shared assets directories.

There is also a first use of a Flash Paper, something new that's going into
all the Macromedia products. I haven't played with it much yet, but it
loads fast and has a small, simple and attractive toolbar. For a quick
comparison, see:

http://www.stcsig.org/usability/newsletter/ui_oct2003_print.swf
http://www.stcsig.org/usability/newsletter/ui_oct2003_print.pdf

e. whitneyq at wqusability.com