[Sigia-l] top level navigation by user type

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Sat Nov 1 17:58:40 EST 2003

At 01:55 PM 10/28/2003 -0800, Stephanie Hornung wrote:
>i've found that a lot of government websites are organized by these user
>groups, and the person i'm working under at the agency wants to design it
>this way, but i'm not sure its the best idea.  does anyone have any
>information/opinions regarding how well this type of navigation works?

Hi Stephanie,

We've studied many sites with this type of home page organization and I can
tell you that it rarely works the way the designers intend, especially for
government sites.

As others have said, users primarily come to the site to accomplished
focused goals. When the site uses a user-type scheme, it forces the users
to guess where the designers might have hidden a particular resource or
function.

I suggest you look at http://www.bls.gov as an example of a government site
that tests very well with the different user communities its serves, while
taking a very task-oriented approach.

I hope this was helpful,

Jared

Jared M. Spool        User Interface Engineering
http://www.uie.com    jspool at uie.com
Don't miss the new UIE Roadshow: Content Is Critical
Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, and DC -- 12/03 - 3/04
http://www.uieroadshow.com