[Sigia-l] tool: inspiration

Joe 10 joe at joe10.com
Fri May 30 00:36:47 EDT 2003

I've been an avid Inspiration user since the early 90's and have used
it for various uses over the years. A lot of the simpler deliverables
linked from http://www.joe10.com/portfolio/  were done in
Inspiration, but the more detailed ones there are certainly Visio.

In a word, or a few words any-hoo:

- It has more power than you expect
- It has less power than you may need/want
- It's files cross platforms extremely cleanly, which almost no other
flowcharting tool can say.
- It can flop back and forth between "diagram" (flow chart) mode and
outline mode with the click of a button, which is a feature I live
for. I think Omni-Graffle/Outliner do that now as well
- It's export is lame and it's import is non-existant

That's it. It's one of the nicest ideas for a program I know, but
suffers from low horsepower. It's fast and easy and great for quick
expression and can be painfully leveraged to deliver a little bit
more. It's outliner is smooth as silk, but the data is relatively
trapped, except for some lame text and HTML files it will spit out.

I haven't tried the new upgrade, but I know the company has no plans
to support professional developers. Their market is certainly K-12.

HTH,
/Joe

At 12:32 AM -0300 5/30/03, Livia Labate wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I was wondering if anyone here has tried out Inspiration and could give me
>some feedback. It is a mindmapping tool focused on teaching, but I can see
>many uses for it:
>http://www.inspiration.com/test/dswmedia/mainmenu.html
>
>The quick tour is very nice:
>http://www.inspiration.com/test/dswmedia/quicktour.html
>
>cheers,
>
>- Livia

Joe Tennis
Information Design Honcho
Joe 10 Group
2430 5th Street
Studio L
Berkeley, CA 94710
510-649-1744
joe @ joe10.com
http://www.joe10.com?cpn=sig
User Centered Design, Strategy and Marketing
for Web, Wireless and Interactive Media

Get your E-Metrics in order:
http://metrics.joe10.com/