[Sigia-l] card sorting: dealing with multiple placements

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Tue May 27 19:29:20 EDT 2003

> From: lists at messagefirst.com [mailto:lists at messagefirst.com]

[...]
> > Card sort is really about ordering. Using an ordering tool for
> > categorizing implies non-overlapping categories. In situations
> > where such assumption of non-overlap does not hold, card sort
> > distorts the true picture by imposing an either/or mentality.
>
> I have to disagree. Card sorting is not about ordering,

What I meant was that card sort's original purpose was for ordering
things. That is after all what sorting means. At one time there were
even card sorter machines.

But here, the ordering method is used for categorizing things. It is
like using a knife to stir coffee - not what the knife was designed
for. In your case, special provision was added to card sort allowing
multiple placements.

Boniface