[Sigia-l] Book Announcement + Ethnomethodological Systems Design

Derek R derek at derekrogerson.com
Wed May 14 16:47:15 EDT 2003

joe wrote:
>| What er...troubles me a bit by the reviews are
>| the sources: not one CEO or business owner

This book is a *practical* guide to design, not a business-case or other
feathery deliverable which puts its effect before the cause. This book
is about how to achieve design in *everyday practice* -- that is 'how to
achieve design' -- not how to hold-hands and blow bubbles so everybody
feels good.

If creation of the best possible designs using the most direct and
reliable resources and methodologies requires some type of
'clarification' of purpose, as opposed to doing what a generic
'research' report claims as automata (i.e. simply because the report
claims so), then you desperately need to get this book!

Constant apprehension of ROI has the tendency to render the head too
large for the body; things quickly become institutionalized and
delusional.

The best thing for you to do (to relieve your little trouble), is to
move-the-focus-of-attention to creation and identification of stable and
enduring processes for the orderly accomplishment of practical
activities. (This is the Ethnomethodological approach).

Realize things are *socially organized* in real-time (interactional).

For instance, even if you have the perfect ROI plan or 'design
blueprint,' one still has to *perform* it. There is an idea of something
-- and -- the thing itself. These are separate aspects.

Any CEO can tell you the success of *any* endeavor turns on its actual
accomplishment. Therefore, impress upon your boss the value of
*vernacular understanding* of their own business. Don't take somebody
else's testimony things are working out ok. *Know* things.

This is both a Quality Assurance and a Strategy which Ethnomethodology
brings to the table. It focuses *expressly* on the embodied practices
and interactional competences employed for the accomplishment of
situated activities.