[Sigia-l] knowledge management

Sean Lawerence slawrence at lucidvagary.com
Tue May 13 11:14:33 EDT 2003

Excellent response Ziya!  Thank you for the clarification.

 Re: Enterprise, HTML

> The fact that those who wrote early about 'IA' did not come from the
> enterprise world should not blind us to the enormous opportunities
awaiting
> us in those unchartered territories. Given the size and depth of that
> market, I'd say that's your best bet.

What permeabIlity do you think the small to medium size business has for the
discipline of IA?  Though, there is probably less content per organization
do you think there are opportunities for an entrepreneuring IA to assist in
crearing "linkages" amongst local businesses, supply chain vendors, micro
online marketplaces for non-local small businesses and such?

> The new generation apps (be it in Flash, .NET, Java or some other
platform)
> excel where HTML (largely) fails: better UIs, speed, interactivity,
session
> management, security, etc. Sherlock/Watson, various blogging tools, RSS
> aggregators or Java Web Start apps are all part of this new paradigm. Take
> look at iTunes4/Music Store. You'll never get that usability and fluidity
> with HTML. Yet it's a (web) service masquerading as a desktop app and its
UI
> is defined via server-generated XML, thus capable of being ported to many
> different XML-aware platforms. It's time to move beyond our current
> HTML-centric focus, even if we keep useful notions like tagging for
> structure or HTTP/port 80 for transmission.

This is one reason I've been so excited about Flash for awhile now.  HTML
pages can take forever to refresh, load, etc.  I've been wondering why
people don't create apps that are simply linked via a database port for
certain things things that just don't translate well in to a browser
environment.

> So we live in truly disruptive times, as the saying goes. If we could move
> beyond the 'nav bar on the left' or 'Comic Sans for children's sites' type
> of debates, there's a lot of new territory up for grabs and in need of our
> attention and expertise.

Here's to disruption!  Let's hope the bits fall in an efficacious
arrangement :)

Thanks again,

Sean