[Sigia-l] knowledge management

Ginny Risk vcr at knowledgengineer.com
Thu May 8 02:48:44 EDT 2003

Jody, I agree with your characterization.  I was an early practitioner
of KM, and here is my take on it.

Knowledge Management is rooted in organizational development,
particularly learning organizations.  It is about sharing experience,
methods and work product in order to improve the quality and
productivity of the organization as a whole.  The "knowledge" that is
shared includes methodology, workflow, patterns and templates, the "the
materials generated during the course of business," which would be any
deliverables generated during the life of a project that are deemed
exemplary or reusable, and informal anecdotes, FAQs and expert contact
information.

A knowledge repository provides online access to the content that is to
be reused.  The content is organized in "a structure and processes that
are most useful to the target audience," which would be an IA.

The larger goal of KM is to change the organization's business
processes.  Organizational structure is changed and incentives are
developed.  Reusable content is usually scrubbed and synthesized.  The
kind of companies that find the expense of KM justified are those that
generate revenue from expertise, such as consultancies, or those that
spend heavily on research, such as pharmaceuticals.

KM is directed at internal users, whereas IA is usually directed at
external users.  The target users are often customers or potential
customers.  Any company with an online presence needs an information
architecture, but I think the companies that get the most value from IA,
and the ones most often cited as examples, are companies that sell
products via the web site.  (In both cases, the more content there is,
the more it needs to be organized.)

IA and KM have in common:
	organizing content so that people can find it
	patterns and categories
	user-centered design and usability testing
	software for categorizing and organizing online content

The end product of IA is an online presence.
The end product of KM is reuse of expertise and work product.

IA is concerned with reuse in the content authoring or rendering
processes (CMS).
KM is concerned with an online presence for internal users (which does
not need to be as polished as an external site).

KM always includes an IA.  A site's IA can incorporate KM where content
is recycled, such as in a self-serve customer support repository.

Terminology is misunderstood and misused all around.  Many practitioners
struggle with metrics and demonstrating ROI.  In any case, whether or
not a project is of value should have little to do with which acronyms
are used to describe it.  The important thing should be to make it clear
what you expect to accomplish.

-- Ginny