[Sigia-l] hacking and painting

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Tue May 6 14:06:42 EDT 2003

Paul Graham has written a wonderful essay called hacking and
painting in which he talks about programming as design.

   http://www.paulgraham.com/hp.html

Definitely worth reading.

For those with a technical background I think you'll find his views
insightful.

For those without a technical background, but basically spend all
their time designing stuff from programmers to implement, you'll
gain some insights into what motivates programmers (there are some
occassional discussions on things like static vs. dynamic typing but
there isn't much).

And if I'm wrong, then I hope you get something else out of it.

--karl