[Sigia-l] using groove on design projects

Faith Peterson faithp at wideopenwest.com
Mon May 5 08:00:52 EDT 2003

I worked on a project team that tried it on a Web project that had a
significant IA/UX/interaction design component. The engineers to a person
tried and it and didn't like it, and so never logged in. Also, unless
they've changed Groove was a peer-to-peer tool with no central repository
for artifacts - as I remember it that was a problem because it confused
people when they would log in and and some resources would be available, or
not, depending on who was connected. We never got as far as trying to
involve the client or using the whiteboarding and application sharing tools.
It's been close to three years since the attempt so I might not be
remembering it correctly or Groove might have changed a lot. And the
company's culture might have inhibited adoption of Groove.

With that said, I remember being so impressed with Groove and I still think
it could be a useful tool, especially if you're in an environment in which
the project participants, although geographically dispersed, can all access
a network on which Groove's enterprise edition could be installed.

Faith

Faith Peterson
faithp at wideopenwest.com
Schaumburg, IL