[Sigia-l] Findability is dead, Long live ummm... Meaning?

Jim Kauffman jkauff at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 19:56:46 EST 2003

I disagree here. Teachers facilitate understanding. We don't have that kind
of intimate human relationship with our users.

 > Just because it's squishy doesn't necessarily mean it's difficult. Many,
> many creative professionals deal with squishy and vague every day and
> produce successful work. Squishy might seem difficult, though, if one
> tries to handle it as if it's not squishy.
>
> We are artisans, too often trying to get by with the methods of engineers.

I agree totally. Ted Nelson always wanted to use IA (before it acquired that
moniker) to inspire active, excited browsing down unexpected pathways. It's
not that hard to design a highly browseable environment that mimics the
"serendipity" experience of spending a day in the library. The art is in
providing a rich environment where excitement and passionate curiosity can
catch fire.

-Jim K.