[Sigia-l] Less than one-minute visits

Matthew Rehkopf matt.rehkopf at experiencethread.com
Thu Mar 27 11:05:20 EST 2003

"Is it possible to say which site this is? I understand this may not be
possible... What type of content is the site trying to provide and how long
do you think they *should* be staying..."

Sorry, John, I cannot divulge the site, but I will try to provide more info.
It is a basic marketing site for a services company. The site contains
descriptions of the services, case studies, info on the company, as well as
white papers and articles. Given that the site's goals are lead generation
as well as a knowledge resource, I would expect the majority of visitors to
be either viewing the company info/services/case studies (3-10 minutes) or
reading the white papers (10+ minutes). At the moment, the breakdown looks
like:

75% of visitors stayed for less than one minute
9% of visitors stayed for between 1 - 4 minutes
8% of visitors stayed for between 4 - 19 minutes
7% of visitors stayed for more than 20 minutes

The 7% group are likely reading the articles, and the 9% and 8% are likely
also sifting through the site. But what can you do on a site in one minute?

I conducted a quick survey on the hunch that employees have this site set as
their homepage, possibly explaining the short stay. The results showed this
not to be the case.

I also wonder if it is always possible to track the amount of time a user is
on the site. Perhaps WebTrends, or the server, was not able to determine
visit length and assigned it a value of 0. This is my working hypothesis at
the moment.

Matt