[Sigia-l] Relationship between Search and Browse

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Mar 27 17:51:44 EST 2003

"Richard_Dalton at vanguard.com" wrote:

> My point (which was obviously lost on the more literal minded folks out
> there) was that for a set of user tasks that are both predictable and few
> in number - there often is a single "best solution",

There often is *not*. (As best demonstrated by the faulty example you
thought so easily illustrated this point.)

> and that we shouldn't allow ourselves to be drawn into the "we have to allow
> for every possibility" syndrome.

In cases where you suspect such (over)simplification is fraught with
(usability) dangers, that, to me at least, suggest that you should be
looking for another approach. One which allows for multiple instantiation of
your classification system or a further abstraction of it.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba