[Sigia-l] Findability is dead, Long live ummm... Meaning?

Peter Morville morville at semanticstudios.com
Thu Mar 27 16:26:44 EST 2003

Just to be clear, Andrew Dillon explicitly attacked findability in the
spatial navigation panel using a similar argument (though at least I
don't think even Andrew wanted findability to die).

In any case, I disagree that findability is limited to known-item
searching.  People may be trying to find answers to questions or
solutions to problems without knowing whether those answers or solutions
exist.

Also, in my experience, most understanding comes from reading *found*
documents or using *found* applications, though some understanding can
come from the surrounding structure and relationships, and doctoral
students can attest to the understanding gained by NOT FINDING
information on a particular topic.

Peter Morville
President, Semantic Studios
www.semanticstudios.com