[Sigia-l] IA system components - add to the list!

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Tue Mar 25 19:56:54 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Nuno Lopes

[...]
> At some point someone used the term "IA System". Can someone clarify
> what this is?

Arno Reichenauer started this thread. According to his thread-starting
post:

http://www.info-arch.org/hypermail/sigia-l/0303/0328print.html

AR> The term "IA system" is meant to describe the IA-part of an
AR> interactive system (website or intranet)

He then restated the term in:

http://www.info-arch.org/hypermail/sigia-l/0303/0379print.html

AR> In my terms, "IA system" describes this sum of web site components
AR> that come from IA

But that restatement was later contradicted by himself in:

http://www.info-arch.org/hypermail/sigia-l/0303/0398print.html

AR> The components that are delivered by IAs are one part of an IA
AR> system

[...]
> Defining effective generic processes is always hard and costly, this
> is due to the fact that most processes are defined ad-hoc, and only
> when a significant number of samples exist, patterns can be
> observed, and clearer, more effective processes/methods can be
> defined.

Unfortunately, to this day, many people still mistake web site
components for information architecture components. Thus, much of the
so called "IA experience" are really "I experience" - they are about
Information, NOT Information Architecture.

Boniface