[Sigia-l] Search directories still relevant?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Mar 24 13:27:22 EST 2003

Abbott, head of Web marketing for Integramed.com, which sells infertility
treatments, considers obtaining an editorial listing in Yahoo's directory "a
waste of time," given that 95 percent of his site's traffic comes from
pay-per-click advertising in search networks Overture and Google.

"I paid for reviews with all the directories at the beginning of my
marketing initiative (in 1999), but being in a directory is meaningless now
unless you can rank on the first page," he said. "I have complete control
with pay-per-click advertising--I can get to the top, I control the headline
and message--whereas with a directory listing, it's what (Yahoo editors)
decide to write."

Once the primary road signs to navigating the Internet, directories have
moved to the shoulder. They are being displaced by algorithmic search tools
and commercial services that many people--Abbott among them--now believe do
a better job in satisfying Web surfers and advertisers. The transformation
is bringing to an end an altruistic era of human editors, who once wielded
significant clout in driving traffic to Web sites through recommendations
made without regard for commercial considerations.

The changing face of search engines | CNET News.com
<http://rss.com.com/2100-1032-993677.html?type=pt&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=new
s>

Ziya
Nullius in Verba