[Sigia-l] RE: what would porphyry do? (was apple and pears)

John O'Donovan jod at badhangover.net
Thu Mar 20 01:41:17 EST 2003

You could think of it like this:

A real world object may be classified by any number of parameters and is
unlikely to fit into a single hierarchical tree. This means you are
modelling complex patterns across objects where you have to accept that the
objects fit into more than one "pigeon hole". The relationships are more
like a network than a hierarchy but even this is to simplify.

For the sake of an example, you *could* think of the things or objects you
are storing information about like stars in the sky. Their position is where
they are placed in certain domains of knowledge and their shape and size is
what their attributes are. You can join them up in different three
dimensional constellations depending on your viewpoint and what you are
looking for. The results you get depend on this.

To model this sort of stuff it helps to know something about data modelling
and object modelling and a range of LIS issues.

Cheers,

jod