[Sigia-l] Taxonomy discussion.

Bryar, Jack Jack.Bryar at dialog.com
Wed Mar 19 14:42:06 EST 2003

Joe/Chiara:
For what it is worth, I've been involved with taxonomy development at Dialog
and elsewhere.
The problem is, as joe suggests, that too many IA types seem to assume that
taxonomies are just keyword metadata tags slopped onto documents, and they
don't understand, (and thus devalue)  the process of developing the taxonomy
itself.
Properly developed, a taxonomy can provide for enhanced , and prioritized
access to critical information. It can even allow for "knowledge discovery"
- the feeding of "just the right" documents to an individual who didn't know
precisely what he was looking for or how to articulate his/her requirements.
Badly done, it obscure valuable information, spam the researcher with crap
(ensuring minimal use of corporate resources) and even mask essential
processes from senior management (leading to disaster) .

I've developed some documentation on how to go about the process of taxonomy
development as well as best practices (and the impact of bad ones)
If people are interested, feel free to contact me at my home email
bryar at vermontel.com

Joe - I'd be particularly interested in the details of your experience. Feel
free to contact me privately at the email address above. I'd love to compare
notes.
Jack Bryar

   8. RE: Taxonomy/Classification IA and Enterprise IA [warning: Ramble
Follows, Will Robinson] (joe )

Message: 8