[Sigia-l] Taxonomists (Was: WOW!..)

Clifton Evans at Infostyling clifton at infostyling.com
Wed Mar 19 13:01:13 EST 2003

I just have to reply to this..

In my last position we had an entire floor of 'Taxonomy'. These
people were solely looking at navigation labels, metadata,
vocabulary, and other 'word' oriented perspectives. They were not IAs.

The UI and IA people were part of a small unit co-operating with the
project managers, competitive strategists, visual designers,
developers and the rest of the 'crack team' on another floor. As
well, the usability evaluation was done as an external process. This
model worked extremely well.

The point is that IA (oddly, a profession from the west coast,
forgive me I'm now in London) is not Taxonomy, Librarianship or
Content Strategy.

IA is architecture.

IA is for structural planners.

This is the structure of the information and not the information itself.

Let's give librarianship the respect it deserves. Taxonomists, and
their respected cousins can work with IAs and should be given enough
space to effectively think about the content of the boxes and the
labels of the arrows.

Sound good?

Clifton.