[Sigia-l] WOW! how annoying..

Todd R.Warfel lists at mk27.com
Tue Mar 18 09:19:48 EST 2003

Thank you Nuno. This list does seem a bit noisy at times. All that
noise doesn't seem to be pushing the foundations of IA. IMHO IA could
mature into a more cohesive field with a few founding principles and
let the rest come together. As you point out there are several
different methodologies for software and product development. Some are
better than others. Overall, they share a few key principles, but
beyond that, they vary in strategy, methodology, length, processes, etc.

In my experience as a user experience consultant, I've seen IA duties
range from developing taxonomies, to gathering business requirements,
to developing organizational models that aren't taxonomies, to
traditional sitemaps and wireframes. It depends on the company, the
geographic location, and the clients you're doing work for. It can be
frustrating.

I don't think there's one right answer for this, as each project is
unique. So, again, IMHO a few basic foundation principles would be
fine, then let it develop from there.

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 05:42  AM, Nuno Lopes wrote:

> For people looking for theory in IA I understand their intent and I
> fully concur with the need for IA to grow on the solid grounds of
> scientific reason rather then market (vendors) interests. Nevertheless
> disagree with the need of a unified theory for IA at the moment. It is
> simply too soon as far as I see it. In other words, IMO IA is not yet
> prepared for a unified theory encompassing a unified method. It needs
> several theories, several methods each dealing with different parts of
> the problem domain or domains.
>
> This is not contrary to the need of the IA field to describe a coherent
> framework of thought, from which several artifacts are born to deal
> with
> several problems. Each problem with its own statement whilst sharing
> common interests.

Cheers!

Todd R. Warfel

_//message first [method second]