[Sigia-l] Flash Ads At The New York Times

William Quimby wquimby at ecr.net
Mon Mar 17 19:28:55 EST 2003

I just wonder which of you recommended that the
New York Times utilize Flash ads - repeating,
recycling, repeating, recycling Flash ads on their
site? Is this an issue that falls within the
purview of IA? Within the purview of user-centered?

I have asked The Times for an explanation and was
told

 >I'm sorry that you feel that some of the
 >advertising is annoying. But please realize that
 >you are reading perhaps the best journalistic
 >product in the world without having to pay for
 >it. I'm not suggesting that you would personally
 >be opposed to paying directly for our web site,
 >but so far very few Internet readers have
 >evidenced a willingness to pay for content. So
 >this explains our need to accommodate our
 >advertising clients in order to pay the bills.

I have followed the Flash Good<>Flash Not Good
arguments on this discussion list, but now wonder
if anybody is out there saying "Hey, if the
user doesn't dig the result screw the user?"

And yes, I realize - if I don't like what the
Times is doing I can just as well go to the
Zanesville, Ohio Tribune site, right? I mean,
what do I lose by being turned off a major
cultural resource? (And being from Ohio, they may
not yet have heard of Flash :)  )

- Bill