[Sigia-l] RE: first principals

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 14 20:10:50 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Jesse James Garrett

[...]
> For the purposes of that talk, I deliberately chose the most
> fundamental definition imaginable in order to illuminate our
> discipline's roots in structuring information for other media. But
> over the course of the intervening year, I have come to think that
> this definition may be the only one that can comfortably encompass
> the entire range of information-structuring problems IAs are called
> upon to solve. The common thread through all of our work is
> juxtaposition for communication -- finding ways to implicitly or
> explicitly indicate relationships between pieces of information.
>
> Whenever people are structuring information to impart meaning -- to
> communicate -- they're doing information architecture.

Hmm... when people are structuring information, they are creating an
information structure, not architecture.

When people are creating an information architecture, they are
deciding what a piece of information must have in order to be part of
the system's information collection.

For example, a news story site may have an information architecture
stating that every story must have a headline, summary, and detail.
Thus, when people add a story to the site, they have to structure the
story into structural entities such as headline, summary, and detail.

Boniface