[Sigia-l] display of date in multilanguage portal

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Fri Mar 14 09:58:30 EST 2003

Thanks to John for correcting me on the ISO date standard.

I said the standard "recommends going from least to most specific in
time/date formats." John said "No, it mandates it." Glad to hear it!

The standard is ISO 8601. A good, thorough summary of 8601 can be
found here. Covers date, time of day, and time zone.

  A Summary of the International Standard Date and Time Notation
  by Markus Kuhn
  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html

The author notes:

  Especially authors of Web pages and software engineers who design
  user interfaces, file formats, and communication protocols should
  be familiar with ISO 8601.

I wish more people followed ISO on this. A friend of mine from the
UK told me last year that he didn't understand this 9/11 thing cause
to him that means November 9th!

--karl