[Sigia-l] Labeling a PDF Archive

George Olsen golsen.wlist at pobox.com
Fri Mar 14 00:51:18 EST 2003

 From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org] On Behalf
 Of Jeff Isom
> The term PDF seems to be causing the most problems.

It can be a difficult problem, which I struggled with on a recent project.
We never really did come up with a term laypeople understood.

We had a variety of financial reports that needed to be available in PDF
format. But they were also translated to the web, and there was also a
printer-friendly version of the page -- which made it more difficult to
people to grasp the different between that and the PDF.

We finally ended up calling it, "downloadable version" for lack of a better
term. Since the project was a client extranet, they'll try to clarify it as
they roll out the site to each client.

If you can use incorporate the Acrobat icon that seems to help. People don't
remember what Acrobat is or what PDF means, but they do seem more likely to
remember what the icon stands for because they've seen it before when
opening PDF files.

George