[Sigia-l] The Need for a Definition of I/A - real world example (was "first principles")

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Wed Mar 12 20:20:40 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Doug Howell (IT)

[...]
> For whatever reason, HR ended up changing her title to Information
> Architect. I'm on the "structure" side of things, and she is on the
> "usability" side. Recently there was some confusion as to whether I
> should be able to substitute for her or help her when she was
> overloaded, since our title was the same. In our case, I could do
> it, but that would not necessarily be the case. It is obviously a
> wide enough discipline to include more than one specialty. We have
> many Programmers, but there are several specialties operating within
> that title (UI, J2EE, Cobol, etc.). No one seems to have a problem
> with that, but, probably since we have a new, unfamiliar title,

C# is a new programming language. But if you place a C# program and a
Cobol program side by side, the differences are very obvious. Both C#
and Cobol are concrete things.

In contrast, what is the difference between "Experience Architect" and
"Information Architect"? Even if you put the two architects within the
same room, there is no guarantee that by the end of the day both will
agree to a list of differences.

I suspect that abstractness was the reason your HR changed the
title "Experience Architect" to "Information Architect". "Information" is
not as abstract as "Experience".

May be one day we will have "Psychic Architect" working together with
"Experience Architect".

Boniface