first principals (was Re: [Sigia-l] moving beyond first principles: how?

Peter VanDijck pvandijck at lds.com
Tue Mar 11 11:05:54 EST 2003

I agree with pretty much everything that Christina Wodtke wrote, except for:

> 7. There is no such thing as an unbiased IA. But we have to try anyhow.

No - often (if not always) the value lies in the bias. (1) Biased by the user
and business needs?

> 12. There is always more than one way to organize a group of anything, but
> there is always one best way given a unique content set, unique user base
> and unique business needs.

Mmmmmwayahen. (That's me trying to make up my mind if I agree or not. I think
not, because these needs are ever-evolving, unknowable to some extent and
influenced by the IA itself, so you get a really complex system and there's no
way to predict the best one.)

PeterV
(1) http://www.poorbuthappy.com/ease/000732.html