[Sigia-l] Best Practices for Recurring Payments

John O'Donovan jod at badhangover.net
Mon Mar 10 21:52:43 EST 2003

I can't give you a URL because this was for an application that is not web
based. Don't hold it against me though...

Some examples from a system with financial and contracts management elements
that I worked on. Contracts management is admittedly more complex than the
requirements for the average bank user, but this may help anyway.

1) On a certain day each month / every three months / 6 months / yearly
(roll backwards to Friday if date is on Saturday, Roll forwards to Monday if
date is on a Sunday, Roll forward over Bank Holidays or at discretion)

2) Last day of month / first day of month
(pay on the 1st  or last day in the month fixed)

3) With a pattern each week
(Mon, Tues and Thurs of every week)

4) In a certain number of days
(pay the bill in 30 days)

5) On a certain date
(pay up on the 30/12/2004)

6) On a trigger event
(I've been paid - pay my debts, criteria for contract completion is up - pay
up)

7) On a trigger value
(I have x pounds - pay x to this person)

8) Staggered payments
(pay 40% on this date, then the remainder on completion)

You will generally find that one off payments can be on any day but
recurring payments are fixed to a date each month. If you try to do it every
x number of days it gets complicated and you will find that the payment date
slips and moves about. Monthly payments are not the same as every 30 days
and should also never slip across month boundaries.

I have not used fortnightly payments, either in a system or as a consumer
though there may be uses for it.

The trigger value is becoming more popular for scraping - that is:
"at the end of the month take x surplus pounds from my current account and
move it to my savings account so that I don't spend it all"

Also I have not seen banks implement this, but the trigger event would be
particularly useful for making sure you don't pay bills until you have been
paid . Business does work this way - you don't pay sub contractors and
distribute payments until you are paid, so this may be relevant for business
accounts.

Cheers,

jod