[Sigia-l] Breadcrumbs

Coon, Sean SCoon at Datek.com
Mon Mar 10 14:49:41 EST 2003

"The part of the Breadcrumbs that functions as a street sign is the last
unliked bit (the current page). The rest of the text string provides
much more information. (Which is what Chiara actually described)

I feel the term breadcrumbs is a very good metaphor & title, because it
instantly tells us what it is. Everyone has been introduced to Hansel &
Gretel at some point in their life, and the people who use the term are
IAs and Web developers - where jargon is necessary."

----------------------

I think george's point was that the term 'breadcrumbs' brings about that
exact hansel and gretel experience, which is to provide a way back from
where you came. 'breadcrumbs' online don't do that. the back button
does. breadcrumbs are a navigational tool to show the user where they
are in the present hierarchy of the site.

remember, the user may not have arrived on a specific page in the
'breadcrumb' by direct drilldown, they may have come via search or
contextual link. how do those scenarios fit in the cognitive experience
of H & G?

sean patrick coon
sr. interaction designer
ameritrade inc.