[Sigia-l] Breadcrumbs

Chiara Fox chiara at chiarafox.com
Mon Mar 10 12:33:08 EST 2003

> When do you introduce that there will be breadcrumbs?

On the PeopleSoft website (http://www.peoplesoft.com) we have the
breadcrumbs start one click in, so they don't appear on the home page.

The purpose of our breadcrumbs is to show where you are in the site
hierarchy (we don't have Hansel and Gretal breadcrumbs that show the
user's exact path). If you are on the home page, you are at the top of the
hierarchy.

Now, we are considering adding the page that you are on as the last
element in the breadcrumb. This last element would not be clickable. It
would just go to help orient the user a bit more. By this logic you could
say that the home page should have a non-clickable breadcrumb that says
"home" on it. But my thought is that the home page already has a lot going
on and doesn't really need the extra clutter. We want to get users into
the site... not distract them with more text to read on the front door.

-Chiara Fox