[Sigia-l] Can entering information twice prevent entry error?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Mar 7 16:58:07 EST 2003

"Fu-Tien Chiou" wrote:

> I am wondering if there is any research that study the value/effectiveness of
> asking users to enter same information twice, in an application/registration
> form, to prevent entry error.

An alternative to this (if JavaScript is enabled) is to show a small
confirmation window where the user would be given a chance to review/confirm
what has been entered. This could be done for multiple fields all together
or for each field as the user leaves the field (with onBlur).

Incidentally, one of the problems with repeat fields is that some/many users
simply copy&paste from the previous field.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba