[Sigia-l] Re: The 3 Factors of I/A

paula.thornton paula.thornton at prodigy.net
Fri Mar 7 12:07:34 EST 2003

Rich said: "I would suggest that this should be extended to say that IA is
primarily concerned with the problems of helping people find things that are
relevant to their current purpose."

Now we go back to the debate as to what IA is. There is nothing I do that
focuses on helping people 'find' things. That task I leave to my colleagues.
As a broad discipline IA is concerned with helping people 'find' things, but
it is not appropriate to limit the definition to "primarily concerned
with"...nor would/should it be suggested that this is the most valuable
contribution that IA can make.

Paula