[Sigia-l] Word HTML - money were my mouth is (was When Should a Manual be Web-based?)

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Mon Mar 3 19:45:36 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Jon Hanna
>
> > It is one thing to generate web pages without HTML error. But it
> > is quite another to have the generated HTML deemed "valid" with
> > regard to a published version of HTML.
>
> No, that's one and the same thing. How else do you define "HTML
> error" except by saying it differs from what HTML allows?

Well, here is an example:

The above has HTML error even though there is no reference to a
published HTML version. If you save the above HTML as an HTML file and
have the browser displays it, you won't see "test" displayed. To see
"test" displayed, you need:

> > Mind you, web browsers do not require web pages with DTD
> > declaration.  Unless Word acted up, Internet Explorer, Netscape
> > Navigator, and Opera have no problem with the Word-produced HTML.
>
> Not strictly true.

"True" versus "strictly true" is a game of semantic.

The fact is that web browsers do not require web pages with DTD.

Boniface