[Sigia-l] Interactive mapping research

John O'Donovan jod at badhangover.net
Mon Mar 3 18:19:14 EST 2003

> Where can I find usability research that's been done that would validate
the
> need to show the visual connection of the best trip option between the
> origin and destination points versus only showing the points with no
> highlighted route connecting the two.
>
> I'd like to consider eliminating online availability of static maps and
> schedules and direct folks to use the trip planning tool for itinerary and
> map info. I may be ahead of my time here, and over simplifying the
process,
> not sure if the paradigm shift would be acceptable to users, internet
access
> to public transit info has not been around very long.  I'd like to know
how
> to best go about testing this concept.

For the first of these I would think the most likely place to find a good
study that would back up this assumption was in the field of in-car GPS
navigation systems (or other in vehicle / in plane systems).

It would seem to me that route, location and direction are a very effective
combination.

This quite old study may have some relevant findings about in vehicle
systems and the display of information on them:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/tfhrc/safety/pubs/95197/exec/exec.html
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/tfhrc/safety/atis.htm

There is a whole section of reports here on Advanced Traveller Information
Systems, though the bias is all towards in vehicle systems.

As for the second point, I would include static maps. I have a downloaded
version of tube, train and bus maps for London in PDF form and despite all
the other interactive tools available to me these are still my first point
of reference. There is a danger of a backlash if your users just want just
want to look at the map.

Cheers,

jod