[Sigia-l] "Study: Content Management Tools Fail"

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Sat Mar 1 19:50:18 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Beth Mazur

[...]
> But even with the effort we put into it, it was only after we had
> a prototype and spent some time using it that *new* requirements
> became apparent. Was this feature creep? Maybe. But it may also
> have been an inability of the client or the vendor to abstract into
> the future what this complex application might really need to be.

Procuring CMS is not a one-shot deal. A smart client would have a
system in place to work with vendors for progressive commitment.

Organizations with high maturity tend to have systems in place that
would get triggered for any major procurements. Those systems would go
a long way towards preventing the following stunning problem:

http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/1690881

CMTF> Another problem found is the core requirements of content
CMTF> management (such as support for workflow, lending structure to
CMTF> content, and facilitating reuse) turn out to be far from the
CMTF> minds of platform purchasers, the report said.

When something as basic as core requirements escaped the minds of
clients, they have no hope of addressing the much more challenging
issue of CMS deployment.

CMS deployment is challenging because it changes the ways people do
their work. People are creatures of habits. Changing the ways people
do things involves changing their habits - often more difficult than
it seems. When improperly deployed, people will leave the best CMS
idle while continuing their old, less effective ways of doing
things. Well-worn gloves' comfort can be tough to beat.

Boniface