[Sigia-l] Explaining Models

Derek R derek at derekrogerson.com
Thu Jun 26 10:11:40 EDT 2003

Thomas wrote:

>| I am curious how others that have tried explaining
>| info foraging found it took to have the listeners grasp
>| the concept enough to have it become a usable metaphor.
>| What level of people were you conveying this to?

At best, ideas/theories/metaphors are devices which help you understand
and make sense of the confusion of everyday experience.

At worst, ideas/theories/metaphors can become a 'substitute for
experience,' so that you begin to believe things which you never
actually observe, and users never actually experience.

This is what 'higher level' people (i.e. CEO's, Director's,
decision-makers, etc.), I have found, typically keep a watchful eye out
for -- citation as a basis for authority -- and reject, more often than
not, in favor of example of actual accomplishment (use cases, relevant
precedent, trusted peer recommendation within-an-industry/field, and so
on).

The Wisdom here is that ideas/theories/metaphors can be a 'red flag' in
business solicitation in that they may be perceived by the
decision-maker as a cause from which one may be misled in a variety of
ways.

Reliance on ideas/theories/metaphors tend to make you avoid
confrontations with the actual everyday world. You must be careful not
to find yourself explaining away a state of total delusion which you
believe to be the most real thing you have ever encountered. Actual
accomplishment is the 'gold' most business people typically respond to.

Failing hardcore real-life example, however, ideas/theories/metaphors
CAN be effectual if you take the time to communicate them *in detail* to
others. If you expose 'new ideas' to others gradually, you CAN integrate
new understandings with the old and therefore prevent being disruptive.
Conversely, if you *assume* your insight is obvious, and that everyone
else sees what you see, you will become isolated and therefore
unsuccessful.