[Sigia-l] Comparing search engines

david landry dolandry at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 09:42:00 EDT 2003

What you seem to be asking about is what I would call "relevance" of
results.  There's a lot of research on how to measure relevance
quantitatively, typically, by measuring "recall" (completeness of the
result set) and "precision" (amount of noise in the result set), which
are inversely related.  The TREC conference is devoted entirely to this
topic is probably worth a look (http://trec.nist.gov/).

The approach you outline however is perfectly valid.  Identify a corpus
of documents.  Define a set of queries.  Determine from a set of users
what results they would expect to see for each query.  Benchmark
against the search engine.  Realize though that each user's
determination of what constitutes a relevant result will be somewhat
unique.

david landry