[Sigia-l] verbs in labels

roBman at InfoBank.com.au roBman at InfoBank.com.au
Wed Jun 18 10:17:18 EDT 2003

> Does anyone have thoughts or references about using verbs throughout in
> labels? Like: "Adjust Personal Data" instead of "Personal Data". Does
> anyone know of a product/site that has attempted that?

Alot of the functionality rich intranet/internet apps I've worked on have
followed the object/method division...with very positive feedback from
the users.

The higher level labels are often noun focused to help the user select
the type of object/thing they'd like to manipulate:

	e.g. orders, contacts, messages, templates, etc...

	These are often grouped by role or mode too...

Then each of these objects usually have a sub-menu of verb focused labels
relating to the methods that can be called upon them or ways they can be
manipulated:

	e.g. compose, list, view, edit, delete, etc...

And the one thing that tends to blend them all together is "search" as
it's the one verb/action that helps the user find the noun/object they're
looking for.

Of course in drag'n'drop RIA's alot of these things are implied by the
relationship between the objects.

These design patterns are pretty common within applications
(Object/View/Control)...as opposed to content driven sites that are often
more of a mish-mash...but of course you guys already know all that 8)

Interestingly it's verbs are made explicit within some of the MS Model
and MSDN docs:

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/off2000/html/defVerb.asp
	http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/off2000/html/acproObjectVerbs.asp

roBman