[Sigia-l] card sorting: dealing with multiple placements

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Sun Jun 1 08:52:53 EDT 2003

> First, the concept of sorting. Sorting is about order. But IAs use
> card sort for its grouping effect. Thus, I said IAs use an ordering
> tool for grouping purpose.

First, if we decided to split hairs does that mean we should
retroactively edit the IA literature to read "card grouping" instead
of "card sorting?" That seems kinda silly to me...

Second, the dictionary clearly indicates that "sort" and "sorting"
means *both* "to order" and "to group."

So we're all right. Hallelujah! ;-)

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sorting

sort:

   1. A group of persons or things of the same general character; a kind.

   2. Character or nature: books of all sorts.

   <..various other definitions not included..>

   7. An act or instance of sorting

sorted, sorting, sorts

   1. To arrange according to class, kind, or size; classify. See
      Synonyms at arrange.

   2. To separate from others: sort out the wheat from the chaff.

   3. To clarify by going over mentally: She tried to sort out her
      problems.

--karl