[Sigia-l] card sorting: dealing with multiple placements

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Sun Jun 1 03:38:27 EDT 2003

On 1/6/03 5:29 PM, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

>> My kitchen has a drawer with sub-divisions. In each sub-division there are
>> knives, forks, and spoons. There is no sequencing intended, required, or
>> desired.
>
> Do you not place the most frequently used items in the most easily
> accessible spots?

Yes - the commonly used implements are all in the top drawer, the less
commonly used in the second drawer, and the bottom drawer is reserved for
all those items I never really expect to need until two days after I throw
them out.

There is however an ongoing dispute as to which sub-division is used for
which category: should it be forks|knives|spoons|long-knives, respecting the
common paradigm of arranging cutlery as fork|plate|knife|spoon, or should it
be forks|spoons|knives|long-knives, so that the members of the more abstract
class of "knives" are near each other. Note that this wouldn't be an issue
if we subscribed to the nonsense which is fork|spoon-over-plate|knife ;-)

Just don't get me started over whether cocktail forks should be in with the
forks or in with the tea-spoons!

e.